Jacks help automotive mechanics and owners to lift the vehicles during repair. If you are a beginner in the auto world, these there is much you need to know about these devices. They come in a variety each of which has a different purpose. Most starters make a mistake when buying a jack which may be costly if it cannot perform the intended tasks well. Below is a small guide on jacks for the car enthusiasts and the mechanics.
A guide to understanding more about jacks
Different types of jacks you should know
- Scissor jacks – they are the commonly used jacks on vehicles while on the go. Their main purpose is to lift the car while changing a flat tire or any other related repairs. They are part of the vehicle package due to their ease of use and portability in the trunk of a car. According to an auto expert, this is not the type of a lifting jack one will find in a serious garage since it is made for light tasks.
- Bottle jack – This is a hydraulic mechanism jack and can be found in most cars as well. As much as it does not come with some vehicles, most car users add it to the truck since it is effective and easy to use. Additionally, it can lift higher than the scissor jack.
- Hydraulic floor jack – this is the common lifting device one will find in a garage. People cannot carry it in the vehicles but will usually have it in a garage. The hydraulic is connected to a floor trolley with four wheels, and a long bar is attached to apply force.
How to buy a jack
When buying a jack for your auto needs, it is crucial to consider some of the points as outlined below;
- The purpose – only after knowing the purpose of the jack that you can decide whether to buy a scissor jack or the hydraulic floor jack.
- The weight it can lift – it is for sure that different types of jacks have various lifting capabilities. It is, therefore, crucial to ask the maximum weight it can lift or research online for such information. People need to
- The price – every person is concerned about the price of the items they buy. Some sellers may be expensive than others so one must be cautious to avoid extortion. However, if the jack can provide value for money, then it is worth to buy.
The above insights are enough to guide for any starter in automobiles to know which jack is good for them. A car should never go out without a jack and a spare functional tire.